The Utah DUI Sentencing Matrix is a chart published by the Utah State Judicial Counsel demonstrating the guidelines for DUI sentencing. If you have been charged with a DUI in Utah County and are curious as to what your possible range of penalties could include, knowing and understanding the DUI sentencing matrix in this state can be extremely helpful. Here are a few of the highlights anyone charged with a DUI in Utah should know:
- A first offense is charged as a class B misdemeanor unless it involves (1) bodily injury; (2) a 16 year old or younger passenger; or (3) passenger of 18 and driver is over 21. If there is serious bodily injury or death, it may be charged as a felony.
- A second offense within 10 years is also charged as a class B misdemeanor unless any of the exceptions stated above apply.
- A third offense is charged as a third degree felony but can be enhanced if (1) the DUI results in serious bodily injury or (2) a prior conviction for automobile homicide.
Possible Jail Time Under Sentencing Matrix
Of course a big concern for anyone charged with a DUI in Utah is whether or not they will have to serve any jail time and if so, how many days. The DUI Sentencing Matrix calls for the following:
- A first offense carries at least 48 hours of jail or the applicable amount of time in community service hours or electronic home confinement.
- A second offense carries at least 10 days in jail or the applicable amount of time in community service hours or electronic home confinement.
- A third offense carries at least 62.5 days in jail but the court may order electronic home confinement.
Besides the penalties described above, there are additional considerations that may have an impact on where you fall under the DUI sentencing guidelines in Utah. For instance, if you have a high BAC, .16 or higher, you may be required to have an ignition interlock installed and will have supervised probation. There is a lot on the line when it comes to being charged with a DUI in Provo so help from a Provo DUI Defense Attorney can be incredibly valuable. We can provide a copy of the DUI Sentencing Matrix in Utah, for this, more information, or to speak with a qualified DUI Defense Lawyer in our office today, call now.